Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Time to buckle up

So......

It finally hit me that this semester is going to be really long and hard, and is going to require a lot of diligence and hard work. Despite 2 out of my 3 college classes having good teachers, the subject material itself is pretty rough. 

So it's time for me to settle in and get a new perspective for things. Lately I've been really trying to rush through school, work, etc. so that I could get to a point in my day where I have nothing scheduled to do, and I can just blah. I love blah-ing. Being able to do whatever I want, and not having any obligations or responsibilities at all. Yeah. 

Right now you're thinking, "Wow, this is one lazy kid who has some issues he needs to work out."

And guess what. You're right! I love being lazy. But it's a weird kind of lazy. I love being lazy when I'm allowed to be lazy, if that makes sense. What I mean is, I hurry up and get all my school, chores, and all responsibilities like that done so I can be lazy. I don't procrastinate. You might almost call me an anti-procrastinationist (or whatever). I don't like being lazy whenever there is something pending I need to do. That means my mind isn't really at rest, and it won't be until I get my chores or whatever done.

Is this making sense? I want to stop all of that. I want to get all of my school and stuff done of course (and not hurry to do it), but then I want to use all of my 'free time' doing something productive. What 'productive' necessarily entails, I don't really know. 

What I do know is that this new perspective will really help me survive this semester. This doesn't mean of course that I'm not going to ever relax, but why can't I relax while doing something productive? There is one old saying that stuck in my head- "Idle hands are the devil's tools", or something like that.

So time to get to work. 

~Mark

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Interesting post. I'm sort of like that. I definitely like to be lazy and have nothing to do. And I tend to rush through school and such too. But, sometimes I'm a huge procrastinator, but other times, I'm like you are.

    You just put it in a way I never thought of. Anyhow, I'll be praying for you. I'll be praying that you continue to be wise with your time and grow in diligence and doing things with a God honoring heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mark you hit the nail on the head, for me. I'm just like you in this area! I hate relaxing when there's something important to do!! I love relaxing though... Wow this is great stuff man, i'm in pretty much the same boat as you, and i needed to read this post. I'm going to print it out actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm probably in the same boat as Emily. I like to get things done when they need to be done, but I also like just procrastinating, some times... once I'm taking more than two classes, I think that will have to stop. The hardest thing for me is when I have no free time for playing music or writing music...

    I'll definitely pray that you'll be able to get everything done and still have a bit of free time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for praying guys, and I'm glad you got something out of this, Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be praying for all of you, actually....since this seems to be a common struggle with all of us :)

    ReplyDelete